Capsule Endoscopy "Grandfather" Recognition of Training Application
The process for submitting an application has recently changed - you must now first pay the procedure application
fee and then fill in and download the application form.
Please read ALL
the instructions below before paying the fee and sending us your application.
A grandfathering pathway for recognition of training in Capsule Endoscopy by the CCRTGE is now available to experienced capsule endoscopists who have prior recognition from the CCRTGE in Upper GI Endoscopy. Practising capsule endoscopists are invited to apply for recognition using this pathway so that they may act as supervisors for Capsule Endoscopy trainees.
Applications must be received by 5pm AEDT 15 March for applications to be assessed at the April meeting and by 5pm AEDT 15 October for applications to be assessed at the November meeting.
What are the criteria?
- be CCRTGE-recognised in Gastroscopy;
- have logged ( MS Word MS Excel ) fifty (50) completed capsule endoscopy procedures, undertaken prior to 1st May 2016, including at least ten (10) cases with distinctly abnormal findings and
- have completed a suitable capsule endoscopy workshop.
What do I need to do to apply?
You should NOT include any information in your application that would allow the identity of a patient to become known. Please completely obscure or remove the patient's name and birth date from each page of the ten endoscope reports you provide.
- Pay the application fee.
- Complete the online application form then download it and insert it at the front of your application.
- Submit evidence of completion of a suitable capsule endoscopy workshop.
- Ensure that your logbook (MS Word MS Excel) is up to date and lists fifty (50) completed procedures, undertaken prior to 1st May 2016, including at least ten cases with distinctly abnormal findings.
- Arrange the procedures in your logbook in chronological order with the latest procedure at the top and the oldest procedure at the bottom.
- Select ten (and only ten) of the cases with abnormal findings for which you will submit endoscope reports - indicate these ten cases by placing an "x" in the last column of the logbook on the appropriate lines.
- Save the logbook as a PDF ensuring that it is in landscape layout and is only one page wide and two pages tall.
- For each of the selected ten cases with abnormal findings supply the endoscope report including findings and colour endoscope images. Please see the CCRTGE guidelines for the content of capsule endoscopy reports. Mark each page of each report with the corresponding log number from the logbook (you can do this by opening the PDF file in Adobe Reader and clicking Tools, Comment and then selecting Text Box) and arrange the reports within your application in order of the log numbers.
You can view a sample logbook and scope report here. Note that the sample is meant to indicate content and layout only and is not a prescription for the amount of information provided, the type of finding that might be deemed distinctly abnormal or for the quality or number of the scope images.
Please Note: Endoscope images should be of a clarity and resolution that would allow you to be confident in using them to make a diagnosis if you were given them by a third party. Applications with endoscope images that are not clear or that are not in COLOUR or with reports that are not marked with the log number will NOT be accepted for assessment.
How do I prepare my application?
Scan into a SINGLE PDF file (maximum size 10Mb):
- your completed application form,
- your evidence of completion of a suitable capsule endoscopy workshop,
- your completed logbook of fifty (50) completed procedures, undertaken prior to 1st May 2016, and
- the endoscope reports for the ten cases with abnormal findings.
Where do I send my application?
Do NOT post your paper application to CCRTGE as it will be returned un-processed. Email your SINGLE PDF file (maximum size 10Mb) to the CCRTGE with the subject line "Capsule GF application for [insert your name]".
What is the fee?
See here for the procedure application fee.
What are the closing dates for applications?
Applications must be received by 5pm AEDT 15 October for applications to be assessed at the November meeting and by 5pm AEDT 15 March for applications to be assessed at the April meeting.
When will I be advised of the outcome of my application?
The Committee meets twice yearly to assess applications. Applicants will be advised of the outcome of their application within two months after the Committee meeting at which the application is considered.
Please draw your colleagues' attention to the application process for recognition of training in capsule endoscopy.
Additional information for Applicants is available here.